YOUR COVER BOARD IS A NATURAL PRODUCT MADE FROM WOOD THAT REQUIRES BASIC REGULAR MAINTENANCE TO PRESERVE ITS APPEARANCE AND PREVENT DAMAGE.
1. A minimum of once a month (depending upon the use and household conditions), apply an even coat of Steelmade Wood Oil to all surfaces of your wood Cover Board using a cloth or disposable towel. Allow the Wood Oil to fully penetrate through the wood fibers overnight, then wipe off any excess oil. Apply additional oil to any visible dry spots or for any other necessary reasons.
For additional protection, it is recommended to use Steelmade Wood Oil + Wax or your preferred alternative to seal the top of the wood surface in conjunction to the Wood Oil. Apply an even coat of the Wood Oil + Wax using a cloth or disposable towel. Allow the Board Cream to penetrate the wood surface overnight, then wipe off any excess cream.
2. DO NOT allow liquids of any type to stand on the Cover Board for long periods of time. DO NOT let fresh, wet meats lay on the board longer than necessary. Brine, water, and blood, contain liquids, which soak into the wood, causing the Cover Board to expand, the wood to soften, and affects the strength of the glued joints.
3. Use a good steel scraper or spatula as necessary to keep the cutting surface clean and sanitary during use. Scraping the surfaces will remove 75% of the liquids. Do not use a steel brush on the cutting surface of your board.
4. DO NOT cut fish or poultry on the Cover Board work surface, unless you have thoroughly followed the instructions in step #1. The moisture barrier must be intact prior to cutting any type of fish, seafood, or poultry on the Cover Board work surface. ALWAYS CLEAN THE COVER BOARD THOROUGHLY AFTER CUTTING FISH OR POULTRY.
5. Be sure NEVER to cut continuously in the same surface area. Distribute your cutting over the entire work surface so that it will wear evenly. DO NOT use a razor-edged cleaver. It will chip or splinter the wood and produce soft spots. Your cleaver should have a dull sharpened edge for best results.
6. Sanitize your Cover Board by wiping all surfaces down with mild dish soap and water. Dry thoroughly. DO NOT wash your wood Cover Board with harsh detergents of any type. DO NOT wash your butcher’s tools on your Cover Board surface. DO NOT put wood Cover Boards into dishwasher.